DCL is proud to be a recognized, leading distributor for the huge assortment of rigging products offered by The Crosby Group, headquartered in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Crosby offers probably the world’s largest selection of shackles, which are perhaps the most pervasive rigging connector in existence. While Crosby subsidiaries may manufacture some specialized product overseas, most of the traditional shackle line is manufactured-in-the-USA, in Richardson, Texas.
In the pages below, DCL has outlined “The Crosby difference” – how the product is designed, developed, manufactured and tested with the goal of providing a truly complete value-added product. As always, if you need to discuss your application and how Crosby can solve even the toughest lift applications, call DCL!
Crosby Shackles: Value Added
- Charpy impact properties: Crosby’s Quenched and Tempered shackles have enhanced impact properties for greater toughness at all temperatures. If requested at the time of order, Crosby can provide Charpy impact properties.
- Fatigue properties: Fatigue properties are available for 1/3 to 55 metric ton shackles. These Crosby shackles are fatigue rated to 20,000 cycles at 1-1/2 times the Working Load Limit.
- Ductility properties: Typical ductility properties are available for all sizes upon special request. Hardness levels and material tensile strengths: Typical values are available for all sizes of shackles, and actual values can be furnished if requested at the time of order.
- Proof Testing: If requested at the time of order, shackles can be furnished proof tested with certificates.
- Mag Certification: If requested at the time of order, shackles can be Mag inspected with certificates.
- Certification: Certification to World Class Standards is available upon special request at the time of order; American Bureau of Shipping, Lloyds Register of Shipping, Det Norske Veritas, American Petroleum Institute, RINA, Nuclear Regulatory Commission, and several other worldwide standards.
- Applications: Round Pin Shackles can be used in tie down, towing, suspension or lifting applications where the load is strictly applied in-line. Screw Pin Shackles can be used in any application where a round pin shackle is used. In addition, screw pin shackles can be used for applications involving side-loading circumstances. Reduced working load limits are required for side-loading applications. Bolt-Type Shackles can be used in any application where a round pin or screw pin shackles are used. In addition, they are recommended for permanent or long-term installations and where the load may slide on the shackle pin causing the pin to rotate.
- Material analysis: Crosby can provide certified material (mill) analysis for each production lot, traceable by the Product Identification Code (PIC). Crosby, through its own laboratory, verifies the analysis of each heat of steel. Crosby purchases only special bar forging quality steel with specific cleanliness requirements and guaranteed hardenability.
- Field inspection: Written instructions for visual, magnaflux, and dye penetrant inspection of shackles are available from Crosby. In addition, acceptance criteria and repair procedures for shackles are available.
- QUIC-CHECK®: Shackles incorporate two marking indicators forged into the shackle bow at 45° angles from vertical. These are utilized to quickly check the approximate angle of a two-legged hitch or quickly check the angle of a single leg hitch when the shackle pin is secured and the pull of the load is off vertical or sideloaded, thus requiring a reduction in the working load limit of the shackle.